Your Toyota engine relies on an optimized mixture of air and fuel to keep it running at peak efficiency. To maintain that proper balance, your vehicle came with a factory-installed induction system. It draws air in through an intake manifold and then distributes it to the engine's cylinders. There, the spark plugs ignite the mix to produce the combustion that starts your vehicle. Then the engine continues to feed on that mix to provide the power you need to drive down the road.
How an Induction System Works
These days, induction is usually managed by an engine control unit (ECU) that uses sensors to measure the air volume. The ECU works with these sensors and the throttle body to determine the ideal air flow for both induction and exhaust, informing the engine when it needs to adjust the level of fuel consumption in order to keep your vehicle running right. Thanks to the engine air filter, the air is cleaned of contaminants and debris before they can make their way into the engine and foul things up.
How to Spot Induction Problems
If any component throughout your induction system should start to fail, it will cause engine performance problems. Signs of trouble include:
- The engine revs higher than usual when you're in neutral or parked
- You notice that the engine idles either faster or slower than usual
- Your engine performance begins to lag
- The "Check Engine" light comes on
If you notice any of these, have your induction system examined. When it's time to replace a faulty part, or if you're looking to improve your performance by adding a specially designed cold air intake kit, make sure that you choose the right component for your vehicle. Find everything you need in our online auto parts department. Buy today and we'll ship your order right to your door!
No results found for "air filter, cold air intake, oxygen sensor". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!